Chicago South Shore & South Bend Car 9
These cars were in South Shore Line daily service until 1982, when the "orange fleet" of the South Shore Line was finally retired. Some of these cars are estimated to have run up over six million miles apiece in service. When the East Troy Electric Railroad began to acquire these units, they were equipped to operate on the 1500 volt dc South Shore, a line that used pantagraphs (as they spelled it). Conversion included installation of trolley poles, of course, but altering the voltage on the control circuits required considerable work. In order to get the necessary 32vdc for the batteries, 600 volt motor-generators had to be installed, first using aging ex-CTA units, which proved to be near the end of their service lives. Then, devices using more modern parts were built by WTM.